When you use a VPN, which creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and the server controlled by the VPN service, advertisers and three-letter agencies will have a hard time tracking you across the network. In addition, the VPN server hides your real location because any observer monitoring your activity will see the VPN server’s IP address instead of your own. You can even pretend to be somewhere else and fool your location by connecting to a VPN in a different country.
Although there are many VPN apps that have made setup a snap, some users may prefer to do things the old-fashioned way and have Windows handle it for them. Next, we will show you the methods to set up a VPN for Windows 10 or Mac OS. Just choose the right one for your device.
Methods to Set Up a VPN on Windows 10 & Mac OS
Add a VPN Connection on Windows 10
First, you may need to contact your System Administrator or VPN provider for some of the information like the username and password needed to complete the steps in this section.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app, and click on Network & Internet.
- Click on VPN > Add a VPN Connection.
- Now, you’ll see a page with several fields to populate. At the top, click the dropdown and select Windows (Built-in).
- Next, name your VPN. Then, enter the address of the VPN server in the next box.
- Click the box for the dropdown menu and click the VPN type you need to use.
- Now, you can input your Username and Password. This is not the Username and Password you use to log into your VPN provider. However, it is provided by the service. Contact your VPN provider or look for this information on the VPN’s website.
- Finally, click Save at the bottom.
- After completing these steps, click on the up arrow in the taskbar and right-click on your VPN. Then, you can select Connect/Disconnect to connect Windows 10 to VPN.
Connect to a VPN on Mac OS
- On your Mac computer, click System Preferences > Network.
- Click the + button at the left bottom, select VPN for Interface and choose your VPN Type, then click Create.
- Fill out the server address and ID information.
- Click the Authentication Settings button, type your Username and Password, and click OK.
- Then click the Apply button and the Connect button.
- Wait for the connection process to be complete.
That’s it! Are you already set up a VPN connection to the Internet on your computer? If not, hurry up to learn the methods in this article!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?