Why Does Microsoft Word Keep Crashing on Mac?
Microsoft word on Mac is prone to certain failures. Here we have put together the common reasons that lead to Word keeps crashing on Mac :
- Mostly, MS Word crashes because of a fault in the Office suite of the tool itself. Chances are that the application could not have been installed probably.
- Insufficient permissions are granted to Microsoft Word for access to resources/core OS functionalities, thereby leading to crashes.
- External corruption/infection such as virus attack or system failure exists.
- If MS Office crashes only when trying to save documents, the reason might be ROM/hard drive issues.
- Memory failure (usually RAM) may be the root as well.
How to Stop Microsoft Word from Keeping Crashing on Mac?
Method 1: Download and Install MS Word Updates
While Microsoft updates could be downloaded automatically, you should check and update the software manually if you suspect there’s an available update that your device hasn’t installed yet. An updated version might just be the solution to Microsoft Word 2011/2013/2016/2019 crashing on Mac:
- Open MS Word, and go to Help > Check for Updates. If you can’t find the option to check for updates, manually download the update from Microsoft’s official page.
- Check the option to Automatically keep Microsoft Apps up to date so you will receive the latest updates next time.
- Click on Update to download the latest version.
- Click the little arrow beside the button, you can review info about all available updates of Office for Mac.
Method 2: Save Word Documents to Another Location
Apart from the MS Word application, there could be a problem with Mac storage as well. For instance, if the particular partition or sector on the hard drive has been corrupted, then you should try to save your documents somewhere else. This will help you avoid Word crashing on Mac or prevent the loss of your important files as well.
- Open the MS Word application on your Mac and try opening the file.
- Go to File > Save As.
- Now, browse to the location where you wish to save your Word document and give it the needed name.
- Alternatively, you can also copy your MS Word file and just paste it to any other location as well.
Method 3: Check the Hard Drive Name
Check the name of the hard drive to see if it’s compatible with Word. If not, change the name to a more proper one. It should always begin with a character and never contain any special symbols.
- Press Command + Space to launch Spotlight search.
- Type in and find Disk Utility.
- Check the hard drive name. If it’s not appropriate, rename it following the set rules.
- Restart Mac and open Word again.
Method 4: Reset Word Preferences
Resetting the preferences will ensure that the corrupted Word preferences are removed to solve this error. To reset them, here is what you need to do:
- Initially, select the Word symbol on the work area and go to the Word > Preferences from the menu.
- Click on File Locations under preferences to open the File Locations on the screen.
- Snap on the User layouts option and choose Reset.
- You can reorder it to some other area or move it to the Trash also.
In case the problem still persists, move to the next step.
Method 5: Create Another User Account on Mac
Although it may seem strange, there could be troubles with your Mac user account as well. Make a new account to avoid this problem and repair Microsoft Word keeps crashing Mac.
- Go to System Preferences and click and open Users & Groups.
- Click on the Lock icon at the bottom, then enter the password and click on the + option.
- Click on Create Account and enter all the details.
- Now you will be able to create a new account, then check if Microsoft keeps crashing.
Method 6: Boot Mac in Safe Mode
- Restart Mac, then press the Shift key when you see the Apple logo.
- Hold the Shift key for a moment, and Mac would be restarted in safe mode.
- Now at the upper right corner of the screen, you can see Safe Mode, you can Sign in to any account and open MS Word on it.
Method 7: Run Disk Utility to Stop Word from Crashing
In order to troubleshoot issues in Mac, you can use the Repair Disk Permissions option.
- On the Go To menu, click on Utilities.
- When Disk Utility opens, choose your computer’s main hard drive.
- Click on the First Aid option and wait for the program to scan and fix the issues.
Do you master the above 7 methods to fix the issue of Microsoft Word keeps crashing on Mac? If you have any problems with the article or other methods to fix the issue, welcome to leave a comment below!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?