5 Possible Causes for The USB Error
When you connect the USB drive to the laptop/PC, the USB error appears in the This Computer folder. Everything seems to be fine, but as soon as you try to open the USB drive, then the ‘please insert a disk into USB drive’ issue is displayed. If you right-click on the USB drive icon and select Properties, you will see something incomprehensible: it shows 0 used bytes and 0 available bytes. Besides, no user’s action can be performed with the drive (like a copy, send to disk or format).
There are several possible reasons for this error, but here are five reasons you need to know, henceforth, to avoid such an error again in the future.
- USB drive attempts to get drive letters already assigned to a different partition.
- USB drive corrupted by virus infection or other factors.
- Your PC controller did not load the firmware of the USB drive successfully.
- USB is incompatible with your computer OS.
- Corrupt file system and bad sectors on the disk.
After knowing the causes, then we can just follow the below solutions to give them a try.
7 Best Methods to Fix “Please Insert Disk into Removable Disk” Error
Method 1: Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Log in to the account with administrative privileges.
- Plug-in the USB flash drive in the USB port.
- Go to My Computer or This PC > Manage > Disk Management.
- Right-click the USB flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Change the drive letter into an unusually assigned letter to the drive e.g U: or Y: (drive letter not assigned to another drive on windows).
Method 2: Insert the USB Drive before Windows Start
Ensure that the USB drive is not set as the priority boot device. This may cause Windows to hang upon login. If the Windows hang, remove immediately the USB drive and insert it again when the Windows starts.
Method 3: Cool and Heat the USB Drive
If the two methods above don’t work, try inserting the drive into the computer and heat it using a hairdryer.
Wait at least two minutes and then remove and reinsert the drive again.
If that doesn’t work, let the drive cool for a while and then remove and reinsert it for a while.
Method 4: Recover Data Using Bitwar Data Recovery
Here we recommend you use Bitwar Data Recovery Software, a free data recovery software that saves both files and time with zero worries. The software has easy steps to recover deleted files.
Just download the software from the official website and then install it on the computer. Thereafter, follow the below steps to get back lost files from an inaccessible USB flash drive.
- Select the device or drive where you wish to recover your lost data.
- Select a recovery mode and choose your target recovering file types.
- Scan and preview the data, then hit the Recover button and save the data into different devices or partitions.
Once saved your lost files to the computer, it’s time to proceed with various quick solutions to overcome please insert a disk into a USB drive in Windows 10 to make the USB flash drive visible again on your computer.
Method 5: Format USB Drive
- Insert the USB drive into the computer and right-click My Computer or This PC and select Manage.
Go to Disk Management, then right-click on your USB drive and click Format.
- Enter the new name of the USB drive in the Volume Label and use the correct file system.
- Click OK once done.
Method 6: Diskpart
On the search box of the Start Menu and type cmd for Command Prompt.
Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
In the Command Prompt Window, type the following enumerated below and click Enter after each command:
- list dis
- select disk X (x is the drive number assigned to your USB drive)
- create partition primary
- Select partition 1
- format fs=fat32
- Diskpart format fs=fat32
Method 7: Manufacturer’s Repair Utility
Some USB Manufacturer websites offer repair utilities that allow the users to solve the error: please insert a disk into the drive. These utilities include the internet connection and propriety algorithm of the manufacturer.
‘Please insert a disk into USB drive’ not only occurs on a USB flash drive but also can happen during using SD memory card or external hard drive. We hope that the solutions mentioned above can help solve your problems. Besides, when you lost your important data, don’t forget to use Bitwar Data Recovery Software to recover your files.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?