File compression is a very important part of the digital workspace. ZIP is a widely used archive file format for compressing one or more files into a single location, reducing the overall size and making the files easier to transfer. ZIP files work basically the same way as standard folders on your computer. However, with ZIP archives, the contents of the folder are compressed, thereby reducing the amount of data used by the computer.
Because of ZIP, we can send more data faster than ever, which is why ZIP files are such a popular tool for businesses around the world. Microsoft introduced the zip and unzip feature in Windows back in 1998 and this tool is still a savior for users who want to save memory when storing or transferring large files.
If you’re used to the file compression process in Windows 10 but have moved on to Windows 11, you might not be sure if there are any notable changes. Then read the following content to learn about the method to ZIP files in Windows 11.
Method to ZIP Files in Windows 11
- Open File Explorer and the folder location with the files to compress.
- Click the New button from the command bar and select the Compressed (zipped) Folder option.
- Create a name for the zip folder and press Enter.
- Select the files and folders to zip.
- Right-click the selection and choose the Cut option.
- Double-click the newly created zip folder and click the Paste button from the command bar.
Method to Unzip Files in Windows 11
After compressing files, learning how to compress files in Windows 11 is essential as it’s something you’ll surely need to do at some point.
- Open File Explorer and the folder with the zipped folder.
- Select the .zip folder and click the Extract all button from the command bar.
- Click the Browse button to select the location to store the extracted files.
- Then the wizard will extract the files in the same location as the .zip folder.
- Check the Show extracted files when complete option and click the Extract button.
After you complete the steps, the folder with all the extracted files should open automatically on the screen.
Zipping files is a necessary practice in some organizations that require users only to attach or upload zipped files. Although Windows 11 brings some changes to the familiar Windows interface and adds a few new features, the operation of zipping and unzipping files is not complicated at all. After reading this article, you will be familiar with how to compress and uncompress files.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?