Unarc.dll is a dynamic kink for the library for Windows which can be used for some specific programs properly. If you would open the directory of Windows or any other installed apps, you will see dozens, if not hundreds, of files using the DLL extension. When this file is missing or corrupted, it can cause errors such as ‘Unarc.dll returned an error code’ to be displayed. This error can occur when attempting to install a new program, update an existing program, or extract files from a compressed archive.
Unarc is a DLL error that typically occurs when the software tries to load an unsigned DLL. This can happen when the software is trying to use a DLL that was not compiled with the same version of Microsoft Visual C++ as the software. Besides, the presence of malware on your system, an incomplete or corrupted download, or a problem with the unarc.dll file itself also can cause ‘Unarc.dll returned an error code’. If this error comes from Windows, please follow the listed methods below to fix it.
Methods to Fix ‘Unarc.dll returned an error code’
Method 1: Clean Temporary Files
It is essential to have enough storage before installing an application. If the setup is unable to write temporary files, it won’t be able to proceed with the installation process. Follow the steps below to create space by clearing temporary files.
- Press Win+ R to open the Run program, and type Temp and press the Ok option.
- Select all the files, press the Shift + Delete button, and then select yes to confirm.
- Again, open Run Program again, type %temp% and press the Enter Key.
- Now select all the files and press the Shift + Delete button, then click on yes to allow.
- Open Run Program again, type prefetch and click Ok.
- Press Continue to access the folder and then select all the files. Again press the Shift + Delete key and click yes to allow.
- Now open the File Explorer and right-click on the Network option in the left pane.
- Select Properties and then click on Internet Option.
- Click on Settings from the General tab.
- Then press the View File option.
- Select all the files, press Shift + Delete, and permanently delete all these temporary files. Press Ok.
- Now restart your system and check if the error appears or not.
Method 2: Run a System File Checker Scan
- Enter cmd in the search box, and select the Run as administrator option to open Command Prompt.
- When into the Command Prompt window, enter the following command and press Enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Thereafter, input sfc /scannow in the Prompt’s window and press Enter to initiate the SFC scan.
- After the SFC scan, Windows Resource Protection might find corrupt files and successfully repair them.
- Then restart Windows 10 if the SFC scan works.
Method 3: Reinstall the Software
When the unarc.dll error message pops up for the specific installed game, reinstalling the game could fix the issue. Reinstalling the software will update the target folder with a missing DLL file.
Users can uninstall games and other software by pressing the Win + R key, entering appwiz.cpl in the Run box, selecting the software to remove on the Programs and Features window, and clicking Uninstall.
Thereafter, reinstall the game with its disc or by opening its installer from a folder.
Don’t feel frustrated when a missing or corrupted installation game program file results in an error such as ‘Unarc.dll returned an error code’ in Windows 10/11, try the three methods described in this article. Hopefully, the methods described in this article will help you download the game software easily, but don’t get addicted to the game!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?