Wi-Fi stands for Wireless Fidelity. It is a wireless network that connects various devices through a unified network. Wi-Fi helps to correlate all your devices to a secure network and share information. While the Settings app does not offer a way to view Wi-Fi passwords in Windows 10, you can use Control Panel to find the WiFi password of the current connection and Command Prompt (or PowerShell) to view the current and saved network passwords you connected in the past.
Method 1: Find WiFi Password with Control Panel
- Type Control Panel in the Search box and open it.
- Click on Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
- Then double-click the wireless adapter which your PC uses.
- Choose the Wireless Properties button and the Security tab.
- In the Network security key field, check the Show characters option to view the WiFi password in Windows 10.
Method 2: Find WiFi Password with Command Prompt
Using Control Panel, you can only view the WiFi password for the network you’re currently connected to. If you want to see the saved WiFi networks stored in Windows 10, you’ll need to use Command Prompt. These steps will also work on PowerShell.
- Type cmd in the Search box, and select the Run as an Administrator option.
- Type the command: netsh wlan show profiles, and press Enter. And you will see the all WiFi network information, including the WiFi-Profile.
- Type the command to determine the WiFi password for a particular network: netsh wlan show profile name=”WiFi-Profile” key=clear, and press Enter.
- The password will the displayed in the Key Content field.
Method 3: Reset Router
Suppose you can’t find a Wi-Fi password in Windows 10, you can also reset the Wi-Fi password by holding the power button for 1-2 mins, and then when you try again to login to WiFi, then enter the default password written at the back of the router, which is around eight characters. This method can be used to reset the WiFi passwords in Windows 10.
That’s all there is to it. Password management is an important step in keeping your router and home network secure. If you lost your password, remember to follow the methods mentioned to check it, and we suggest you should change your password.