Summary: If you’re typing on a windows11 keyboard and you always type letters in the capital, you may have accidentally hit the Caps Lock key. The methods described in today’s article will help you disable the Caps Lock key in Windows 11.
Can You disable Caps Lock in Windows 11?
The caps lock is a key on most computer keyboards. Pressing it will switch to the uppercase mode when typing, and the English letters that are typed are all uppercase by default. This state will remain until you press the caps lock key again. But the Caps Lock is a remnant of nineteenth-century typewriters and is not required nowadays.
You can permanently disable the Caps Lock key on Windows 11 using various workarounds and third-party tools. Depending on your keyboard manufacturer and current setup you might not need any additional software to disable the key. Here are all the ways you can disable the Caps Lock key on Windows 11. Let’s get started.
Disable and Enable the Caps Lock by Registry
Method 1: Disable the Caps Lock Key with Registry
Using Registry may be the easiest way to disable the Caps Lock in Windows 10 altogether.
- Type Regedit in the Start search field and press Enter to access Registry Editor. Then click Yes when the User Account Control occurs.
- Move to the following path:
- On the right side of the Keyboard Layout, right-click on the space. Click New and select the Binary Value, and name it ScanCode Map.
- Double-click the ScanCode Map so that you can change the default binary value. Then, to disable the Caps Lock key, please set it as the following binary value, and click OK to save.
“00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00”
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard and select Sign out.
- Log back into your PC and the Caps Lock key should now be disabled.
Method 2: Use a registry script file
- Download the file linked below to your PC and double-click the same:
DisableCapsLock.reg | Download Link (Filename:disablecapslocknerdschalkdotcomreg.zip)
- Click Yes to add the new registry value, then click OK.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard and click Sign out.
- Log back into your PC and Caps Lock should now have been disabled on your keyboard.
Method 3: Disable the Caps Lock by KeyTweak
KeyTweak is a free program that aims to help users to remap and disable any key on the computer keyboard.
- Download and install KeyTweak from https://keytweak.jaleco.com/.
- Run KeyTweak, and you’ll see a virtual keyboard. It numbers the keys instead of displaying the characters the same as the keyboard. Then select the Caps Lock key on the diagram, ensure that you choose the right one, and then click on the Disable Key.
- Click Apply and restart your computer.
Method 4: Change the Caps Lock to the Shift key
The quickest way to get rid of the Caps Lock stuck issue on Windows 11 is to change the turn-off Caps Lock action to the Shift key instead. Follow the instructions below to do so.
- In Windows 11, press Win + I to open Settings.
- In the Settings window, select Time & language from the left pane, and then select Typing on the right.
- Next, select Advanced keyboard settings.
- On the next settings page, click Input language hot keys.
- In the Text Services and Input Languages window, under To turn off Caps Lock section, select Press the SHIFT key instead of the CAPS LOCK key.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes. You can then press the Shift key to turn off Caps Lock immediately.
Get It Now!
Now you have known the efficient methods to disable the Caps Lock key in Windows 11 when you don’t need it. Let’s perform it right now!