Meet Now is an instant video conferencing solution, which is powered by Skype, and is integrated within Windows 10. Right from the Taskbar, you can now start a meeting and share the link with your family members, friends, or colleagues. It’s entirely free and supports up to 100 participants in a single Meet Now link.
Although the feature makes it easier to create and join a conversation with other people, it is not something that everyone wants. If the feature is not for you, Windows 10 includes at least three different ways to disable the Meet Now integration using the Settings app, Group Policy Editor, and Registry. So, let’s see how they work.
Methods to Disable Meet Now in Windows 10
Method 1: Disable Meet Now with Settings
To remove Meet Now from the taskbar with Settings, use these steps:
- Press Win + I to open Settings, then click Personalization > Taskbar.
- Under the Notification area section, click the Turn system icons on or off option.
- Turn off the Meet Now toggle switch.
Once you complete the steps, the button to create a video chat or join a session will disappear from the taskbar. Alternatively, you can also right-click the button in the taskbar and select the Hide option. If you want to enable the option, just turn on the Meet Now toggle switch.
Method 2: Disable/Remove Meet Now with Group Policy
- Type gpedit.msc in the Search box and select the top result to open Local Group Policy Editor.
- Browse the following path: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.
- On the right side, double-click the Remove the Meet Now icon policy and select the Enabled option.
- Click the Apply button and the OK button.
- Last, restart your computer.
After you complete the steps, the button to create and join a video chat will no longer be available in the taskbar’s notification area.
In the case that you want to revert the changes, you can use the same instructions, but in step No. 3, make sure to select the Not configured option.
Method 3: Disable Meet Now using Registry Editor
In case you want to permanently disable Meet Now from Windows 10 Taskbar, you can do so with Registry Editor.
To get rid of the Meet Now integration by modifying the Registry, use these steps:
- Type regedit in the Search box and select the top result to open Registry Editor.
- Browse the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
- Right-click the Explorer (folder) key, and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new key HideSCAMeetNow and press Enter.
- Now, double-click on HideSCAMeetNow and change Value data to 1, then click on OK.
- Last, restart your computer.
Once you complete the steps, similar to using the Group Policy Editor, Meet Now will be disabled on your Windows 10.
For many Windows 10 users, Meet Now is not the best meeting video software, and they usually tend to use third-party meeting video apps. Now just follow the 3 methods in this article, you can easily disable Meet Now in Windows 10.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?