Most computers come with built-in cameras that applications and services can activate on their own if users give the appropriate permissions. In addition, you also don’t want malware to take control of the camera to spy on you and your home.
There’s no way to ignore the security concerns presented by the webcam built into your computer. If you want to disable the camera in Windows 10, you can turn the camera off altogether or for a few apps. This helps users to keep better control over their computer security.
Methods to Disable Camera in Windows 10
Method 1: Turn Off Camera for All Apps
- Press Win + X and select Device Manager in the appearing menu.
- Select the arrow next to Cameras to expand the menu and right-click the name of your camera and select Disable device.
- In the confirmation box, click Yes. Then the camera will be fully disabled. If you’re unsure if the camera is off, restart your computer to ensure the change is in place.
Method 2: Turn Off Camera for Selected Apps
If you don’t want to disable your camera completely, you can specify which apps and services are allowed to access it, and which ones are not. This method is useful when you only want to set camera restrictions for social media or chat sites.
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings and choose Privacy.
- In the Camera section, turn on Allow apps to access your camera to allow access by some apps and services.
- Tap the slider next to each app or service in the list of to allow some apps and services to access the camera while preventing others from having access.
You can easily disable the camera for all/selected apps by using the two methods in this article. If you’d like to know more about other computer troubleshooting methods, please let us know in the comment below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?