Overview Disk Utility
Disk Utility is a system utility for performing disk and disk volume-related tasks on the macOS operating system by Apple Inc. It is found inside the Applications folder but is easy to locate using Spotlight by pressing Command + Space Bar and then typing in Disk Utility.
Usually, when facing the following issues, Mac users can use Disk Utility to fix them:
- Your Mac won’t start up.
- An external device won’t work.
- Apps are quitting unexpectedly.
- You have a corrupted file.
- There is a problem with your startup disk.
- You need to repair a disk that is damaged.
Check and Fix a Faulty Disk Using Disk Utility
The First Aid function in Disk Utility will run various checks to find out a problem with your disk and fix it. So if you think there is a problem with your Mac’s internal drive or external storage device, you can use the First Aid feature in Disk Utility to check.
Below we will show you how to run First Aid on your Mac to check for problems with a disk:
- Press the Command + Space Bar shortcut to open Spotlight, then type in Disk Utility.
- After opening Disk Utility, choose the disk you want to check and fix from the sidebar.
- Then choose the First Aid option in the upper right corner.
- Confirm the operation by clicking Run.
- After that, be patient to wait for the process to complete and it will attempt to repair the problem if finding a problem with the disk.
Recover Data Using Data Recovery Software
If Disk Utility is unable to repair the drive and an error message pops up to warn you. We recommend you should back up your data before it’s too late.
When it comes to backing up or recovering data, Bitwar Data Recovery Software is your best choice. It recovers 580+ deleted, formatted, lost and disappeared data from internal & external hard drives, SD memory cards, USB flash drives, or other digital storage media on Windows or Mac.
- Download the latest version of the software and install it on your Mac through Bitwar Official Download Website.
- Launch the software, then select the drive that you want to back up or recover from the drive list and tap on Next.
- Choose the desired Scan mode and continue with the Next button.
- Choose the File Types and followed by clicking Next.
- Filter and Preview the scan result from the software. Then click the Recover button to start the recovery.
With the help of Disk Utility, it makes it easy for Mac users to resolve a number of disk issues including checking and fixing a faulty disk using Disk Utility, but Disk Utility is not a panacea. When you encounter data loss, remember to use Bitwar Data Recovery Software.